It's no secret that the outbreak of the coronavirus is pulling society into an unknown and unprecedented area. As the world around us changes every day, it is nice to know that a well-known product in our house can lead us through the uncertainty. In this case, the device we're talking about is the Amazon Echo Dot. With the recent updates and integrations of the smart speaker, families can more easily get the help of Amazon Alexa.
However, if you are wondering what Amazon Alexa can do during the Corona virus outbreak, you should know that you can only access most features after downloading the Amazon Alexa app. Some features also require special Alexa knowledge, which you can download from the Amazon Alexa application.
Once the download is complete, you will have access to many different resources to keep you informed of important corona virus updates. Some resources can also help you relieve yourself.
Read on to see how Amazon can help Alexa during the coronavirus outbreak by providing the following:
- Information and help resources
- Safety tips
- Productivity and wellness suggestions
Information and help resources
During the Corona virus outbreak, important updates will quickly come from news agencies. The rate can be so fast that it becomes almost impossible to keep up with the virus' livelihood effects on a global scale, but also within your local community. Find the information you're looking for with the help of Amazon Alexa.
- COVID-19 updates: Stay up to date on important information about the novel corona virus by saying, "Alexa, give me an update on COVID-19."
- Opening hours: Know when you can pick up this carton of milk from Alexa in the supermarket or in other important stores. The latest adjustments to the Amazon Echo Dot will inform the smart speaker of changes in the regular opening or closing times. Alexa can also keep you up to date on store closings so you don't travel to a closed store.
- Save the Children / American Red Cross: You can only help those affected by COVID-19 with the sound of your voice. Say "Alexa, donate to the COVID-19 response fund" to make a donation to Feeding America. You can also say, "Alexa, donate to save the children."
- Blood donation: Donating blood can help save a life. If you are motivated to do so, you can plan a blood donation with Amazon Alexa. Just say "Alexa, open the blood of the Red Cross." to get started.
- Homework / course assignments: Make sure that your children complete their coursework during the coronavirus outbreak if you pair certain applications with your smart speaker. Tools like Blackboard, Canvas, Coursera and Parent Square can be integrated into your Echo Dot. When your child tries to sort their homework, they can just say, "Alexa, what are my chores on Friday?" for clarification. In the meantime, parents looking for a general overview of their child's workload can say, "Alexa, are there any updates from school?"
Here you will find useful security tips from Amazon Alexa that can protect your family and your home. With the smart speaker, you can make protective gear, monitor your risk for COVID-19, and more.
- Protective mask: The CDC recently advised Americans to wear a face mask in public places to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Say "Alexa, how do I make a face mask?" and the intelligent speaker will make recommendations from the Center for Disease Control.
- Risk level: If you are concerned that you or a loved one may have symptoms of the novel coronavirus, say, "Alexa, what do I do if I think I have COVID-19?"
Alexa will answer a number of questions about your recent travel history, symptoms, and exposure to the virus. You should seek medical advice or go to a test center if your symptoms worsen.
- Cleaning: You can do your part to defeat COVID-19 by staying at home and also staying clean. Find helpful tips on cleaning and disinfecting with your smart speaker by saying, "Alexa, give me tips on cleaning."
- Wash your hands: The CDC recommends washing our hands for 20 seconds to ward off germs and slow the spread of the coronavirus outbreak. But let's face it, your 20 seconds can be different from my 20 seconds. Find efficiency with Alexa by asking her to sing a song for 20 seconds.
- Social distancing: Not sure why social distancing is so important during a pandemic? Or are you just not sure what to do and what not to do if you distance yourself socially? Don't worry, Alexa has the answers. Just say "Alexa, how important is social distancing?" or "Alexa, tell me activities that I can do while I distance myself socially."
- General preventive measures: For resources and suggestions on how to avoid the virus, see "Alexa, how do you prevent COVID-19?".
Productivity and wellness suggestions
With Amazon Alexa at your side, staying at home doesn't have to affect your productivity or well-being.
- Routine "stay at home": With social distancing and initiatives that stay at home, many of us could get into a kind of break-in. With Amazon Alexa's "Stay at Home" routine you keep an overview of your overall well-being. This unique routine gives you an entertaining fact at the start of your day, notifying you when it's time to have lunch, and notifying you when it's time to plan dinner.
- Routine "Working from home": Similarly, social distancing and staying at home initiatives require that a significant proportion of the workforce work remotely from home. Stay up to date with Amazon Alexa's Work from Home routine. Unique features include notifications of when it's time to start working, when to get up and stretch, and more.
- Stay in contact: Check in quickly with your family and friends with your Amazon Echo. All you have to do is say "Alexa, call ____."
- Audible: If you stay inside, you may finally be able to finish the book that has been in your Audible app for months. Listening to Audible can also be a welcome distraction from the news spread on your feed. Click here for a full list of commands you can use with Alexa to listen to your next great read.
- Meditate: For many, these are stressful times. Allow some time to decompress with guided meditation from various Amazon Alexa skills such as headspace or mindful meditation. All you have to say is "Alexa, open mindspace" or "Alexa, open mindful meditation" to get started.
- General entertainment: Staying indoors is one of the best ways to have positive effects during the pandemic. After a few days, however, you could be on the verge of cabin fever. Stay entertained and get involved with a little help from your Echo Dot. Say "Alexa, play music" or "Alexa, play song quiz" to start the fun.
With Amazon Alexa help, you can be safe and aware
We hope this list of resources will help you find comfort when you know you already have something in your house that can keep you up to date in a matter of seconds during COVID-19. The device can also help you find a necessary distraction device. More COVID-19 resources can be found on our blog or at the CDC.